Disability and sickness

The list below shows the benefits that central government can award for people with sickness and disabilities, as well as details on the disabled facilities grant we can provide. You’ll also find links to gov.uk so that you can find out how to apply and further information. 

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax-free benefit which you may get if you're aged 65 or over and need help with personal care because you're physically or mentally disabled.
Find out more about Attendance Allowance 

Carer’s Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a benefit that helps people who look after someone who is disabled. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person that you care for.
Find out more about carer’s allowance 

Disability Living Allowance

Disability Living Allowance, also known as DLA, is a tax-free benefit for disabled children and adults who have walking difficulties or need someone to help look after them. People with severe sight-impairment may be eligible to claim the higher rate mobility component of DLA. DLA is gradually being replaced with Personal Independence Payment (PIP). 

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

From June 2013, instead of claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA), a person aged 16-64 with a health condition or disability will claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you are currently getting DLA, you will not be affected until 2015 or later, unless your claim changes. Use the PIP calculator to check how you are affected.
Find out more about PIP

Disabled Facilities Grant

A grant can awarded to help towards the cost of adapting your home so that you can continue to live there independently. This grant cannot be awarded for work that has already started.

Find out more about facilities for disabled people.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance, also known as ESA, provides financial help to people who are unable to work because of an illness or disability. ESA also provides personalised support, so that you can do appropriate work, if you are able to.
Find out more about ESA 

Help with health costs

Most National Health Service (NHS) treatment is free but there can be charges for some things e.g. vouchers for glasses or contact lenses and hospital travel fares.
Contact us to find out more about help with health costs