Emergencies & independent living

Discretionary Assistance Fund

The Discretionary Assistance Fund has been set up by the Welsh Government to  provide payments to people who have no other means of meeting the immediate cost of living or to enable or maintain independent living. 

There are two types of non-repayable grants: 

Emergency Assistance Payments

Emergency Assistance Payments are available to provide assistance in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to health or wellbeing. Anyone over the age of 16 can apply for these payments to help pay for expenses due to an emergency or because of a disaster. 

Individual Assistance Payments

Individual Assistance Payments can help meet an urgent identified need that enables or supports vulnerable people to live independently in the community.
A person can apply if they are entitled and in receipt of income related benefits e.g. income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit, or if they are due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, and are likely to be entitled to receive income related welfare benefits. 

Check eligibility

You can find out if you or someone you know is eligible for a payment from the Discretionary Assistance Fund by using the online eligibility checker.

Check eligibility

Or telephone by calling the 0800 859 5924 which is free from landlines, or 033 0101 5000 which is charged at a local rate. 

How to apply

You can apply for a payment from the Discretionary Assistance Fund for yourself or someone you know by making an application online.

Make an application

Alternatively, you can download an application form and send it to; Discretionary Assistance Fund, PO Box 2377, Wrexham, LL11 0LG. 

Cold weather payments

Cold weather payments are made when your local temperature is either recorded as, or forecast to be zero degrees Celsius or below over 7 consecutive days. You can use the GOV.UK cold weather payment page to find out if your area is eligible for a payment.

Find out more about cold weather payments

Winter fuel payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills. You should get a Winter Fuel Payment automatically if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Universal Credit or Child Benefit).

Find out more about winter fuel payments

If you would like independent advice about your entitlement to state benefits or tax credits, you can contact Citizens Advice Denbighshire.