Emergency childcare is available for vulnerable children and children whose parents are critical to the COVID-19 response who cannot be safely cared for at home.
The advice from the Welsh Government is that every child who can be safely cared for at home should be, and emergency childcare should only be arranged at a school or other setting where there is no safe alternative.
Emergency childcare will be available at the following places.
- Abergele: Shooting Stars Childminding
- Abergele: Springfield Day Nurseries
- Colwyn Bay: Springfield Day Nurseries
- Deeside: Little Stars
- Denbigh: Joanna Roberts Childminder
- Denbigh: Little Monkeys Childminder
- Denbigh: Lynne Rawlins Childminder
- Denbigh: Sharon McCoole Childminder
- Denbigh: Sonia James Childminder
- Henllan: Emma Stewart Childminder
- Henllan: Kate Wright Childminder
- Kinmel Bay: Little Lambs Day Nursery
- Kinmel Bay: Louise McDowell Childminder
- Llandudno: Kiddies Corner Day Nursery
- Llangollen: Llangollen Day Nursery
- Meliden: Anita & Stephen Lees Childminder
- Prestatyn: Claire Newell Childminder
- Prestatyn: Helen Croughan Childminder
- Prestatyn: Hilda Roberts Childminder
- Prestatyn: Karen Hanna Childminder
- Rhyl: Beach House Day Nursery
- Rhyl: Bees Knees Day Nursery
- Rhyl: Early Learners Day Nursery
- Rhyl: Playdays Playgroup
- Rhyl: Sammy Bowyer Childminder
- Rhyl: The Oaktree Centre
- Ruthin: Eiry Green Childminder
- Ruthin: The Mill Childcare Centre
- St Asaph: Georgina Damrell Childminder
- Wrexham: Alana McHugh Childminder
- Wrexham: Peter Pan Nursery
- Wrexham: The Towers Day Nursery
School buildings have been chosen due to their location, size and classroom layout.
- Denbigh: St. Brigid’s
- Denbigh: Ysgol Frongoch - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
- Denbigh: Ysgol Plas Brondyffryn (children with a statement only)
- Denbigh: Twm O'r Nant - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
- Llangollen: Ysgol Bryn Collen
- Meliden: Ysgol Melyd - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
- Prestatyn: Bodnant Community School - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
- Prestatyn High School
- Prestatyn: Ysgol Y Llys
- Rhyl: Ysgol Bryn Hedydd
- Rhyl: Ysgol Dewi Sant
- Rhyl: Ysgol Emmanuel
- Rhyl: Ysgol Llywelyn
- Rhyl: Ysgol Plas Cefndy
- Rhyl: Ysgol Tir Morfa (children with a statement only)
- Rhyl: Ysgol Y Castell - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
- Ruthin: Ysgol Penbarras - There are currently no childcare places left at this school
The school hubs will be open for childcare full time school aged children from 8am to 3.30pm, Monday to Friday and in the school holidays. Bank holidays are not currently included.
The Oaktree Integrated Children’s Centre in Rhyl is providing emergency childcare only in its onsite nursery Little Acorns, for keyworker children from 8 weeks to 4 years old from 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.
How to apply for emergency childcare
Please make sure that you apply for emergency childcare at least one full working day before you need it to start, so that we can make the necessary arrangements.
Apply for emergency childcare at a childcare setting
You can only apply for emergency childcare at a childcare setting for children aged 0 to 5 who have not yet been offered a school place.
Apply online for emergency childcare at a childcare setting
Apply for emergency childcare at a school
Apply online for emergency childcare at a school
Childcare for Vulnerable Children
Vulnerable children include those with a social worker and with Statements of special educational needs, including children with care and support or support plans, children on the child protection register and children who are looked after. We will prioritise the vulnerable children most in need of childcare, particularly those where there is a present risk that children cannot have their basic needs met safely at home or where no safe alternative for childcare can be found.
Please contact your child’s social worker if you feel that you need help to safely care for your child at home. If your child does not have a social worker then please contact Denbighshire’s Family Information Service for advice on childcare during the restrictions on 01745 815891.
After applying for emergency childcare
If you are entitled to emergency childcare, daily booking arrangements will be organised by parents communicating directly with the chosen hub. Details of how to do this will be sent to you.
A key worker is someone whose work is critical to the COVID-19 response.
View the list of key workers on gov.wales (external website)
People with serious underlying health conditions, which put them at very high risk of serious illness from coronavirus (COVID-19), should follow “shielding” measures to stay safe. If anyone in your houshold is classed as extremely vulnerable, you should not apply for the emergency childcare.
View a list of people who are classed as extremely vulnerable from coronavirus (COVID-19) on gov.wales (external website)