Dog issues

We deal with reports of dog fouling, lost dogs, stray dogs and noisy dogs.

Report a dog issue

Denbighshire Control of Dogs Public Spaces Protection Order 2017

Denbighshire County Council has been successful in obtaining authorisation to introduce a Public Space Protection Order under the provisions of the Anti-Social Behaviour and Policing Act 2014 relating to the control of dogs. More...

Click on one of the headings below for information on how we can help with each of these issues.

Dog fouling
It is against the law to allow your dog to foul in public places and then fail to clean up the waste and dispose of it properly. Public places include roadways, footpaths, car parks, shopping centres and other people’s gardens.

If you don’t clean up after your dog you could face a fine of at least £75. The person who is in charge of the dog at the time of the fouling is liable to pay the fine. 

You can pay by calling the number shown on the fixed penalty notice, or at any One Stop Shop. If you don’t pay the fine within 28 days you could get a criminal record.

To tell us about a dog fouling problem, report it online or call us for free on 0800 2300 234.
Noisy dogs
Barking comes naturally to dogs, but constant barking or whining can be disturbing or annoying for your neighbours. Complaints about barking often arise because dogs are left alone while their owners are out for most of the day. A dog will not usually bark while its owners are at home, but may start as soon as they leave. The owners are often unaware that there is a problem until someone makes a complaint.

If you are disturbed by a neighbour’s dog, tell them about the problem, as they may not know their dog is barking. If they are not prepared to take action, tell us about the issue, either by reporting a noise pollution issue or by calling 01824 706000. 

You will need to give us your details when you make a complaint, because the law requires us to record the impact the noise is having on the person who is making the complaint.  However, your details will not be revealed to the dog's owners, other than in the unlikely event that the matter is taken to court.

After you have made a complaint
When we receive your complaint we will visit the dog owners, and we will send you a log sheet so that you can keep a record of when the dog is barking and how long it goes on for. 

When you return the log sheet to us we will assess the information, and if we think it's necessary, we will carry out noise monitoring, either in person at the property, or by using equipment.  To  determine whether the barking can be considered a statutory noise nuisance, we will consider:
  • the time of day or night the dog is barking
  • how long it goes on for
  • how often it happens
Occasional barking that happens, for example, when you have a delivery made to your property or when the doorbell rings, will not be considered a statutory noise nuisance.

If we think that the barking can be considered a statutory noise nuisance, we can serve a noise abatement notice on the owner to stop the persistent barking.
Stray dogs

If you have found a stray dog please check to see whether it has a tag with the owner’s details so that you can reunite the dog with the owner before contacting the Dog Warden.

If there is no tag, or if you cannot reach the owner, you can report the stray dog to us, either by using this online form or by calling:

  • 01824 706000: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
  • 0300 123 3068: evenings until 10pm, weekends and bank holidays
Our dog warden will only pick up dogs that are secured. If you think that a dog is dangerous, you should contact North Wales Police on 101 or 0300 330 0101.

You can see a current list of our stray dogs on our Facebook page.

When the Dog Warden collects a stray dog they will check any collar and tag for the owner’s contact details, and they will also scan the dog to check if it has a microchip. If the dog has no identification, the warden will take it to kennels at North Clwyd Animal Rescue.

If the stray dog has its owners' contact details on a collar and tag or a microchip, then it can be returned to the owners, for a statutory fee. If the owner refuses or is unable to pay the fee, then the dog will be taken to kennels, and further charges will be made for kennelling and expenses. We will also serve a statutory notice on the owners, and if the dog is not claimed within seven days, then it may be re-homed or humanely destroyed.

Find out more about charges for stray dogs .
Lost dogs
If you have lost your dog, you can:
  • use this online form to report it to us
  • call the Dog Warden on 01824 706000 during office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm)
  • call us on 0300 123 3068 during evenings until 10pm, weekends and bank holidays
  • contact North Clwyd Animal Rescue on 01745 560546 to check if your dog has been found and taken to kennels there
  • check our Facebook page to see if anyone has found your dog
  • contact any vets and kennels in your area to let them know your dog has been lost
  • if you live close to the border with another county, we recommend that you get in touch with the council for that area to report your lost dog to them
Dangerous dogs
We do not deal with reports of dangerous dogs.

If you believe a dog is dangerous, or if you have any information about dog fighting, please report it to North Wales Police on 101 or 0300 330 0101.