Complaints about councillors

Please be aware that the Council may take longer to respond to any correspondence or complaints, due to staff shortages and the Council’s response to Coronavirus. Thank you for your understanding.

You can make a complaint about a county councillor or a city, town and community councillor if you think they have breached their code of conduct. You can find the Members’ Code of Conduct in section 18 of the Council Constitution.

Examples of ways in which a councillor could breach their code of conduct include: 

  • behaving in a way that has a negative effect on the council’s reputation
  • using their position unfairly to gain advantage for themselves or someone else 
  • improper use of the council’s resources 
  • failing to declare an interest 
  • bullying behaviour 
  • not treating everyone equally 
  • revealing confidential information about someone without a good reason

How do I make a complaint?

If you would like to make a complaint about a councillor, you must complain directly to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

You must tell the Ombudsman specifically what you believe the councillor has done that has broken the code of conduct, and you have to give some direct evidence of this. You may need to be interviewed as part of any investigation.

You must be prepared for your name and what you say in your complaint to be passed on to the councillor concerned, and to the council. It’s possible that it may become public knowledge.

You can get more detailed information about the complaints process on the Ombudsman’s website.