Making a complaint about the council

Please be aware that the Council may take longer to respond to any correspondence or complaints, due to staff shortages and the Council’s response to Coronavirus. Thank you for your understanding.

Before you start

Your Voice, our complaints procedure, is for complaints about council services and specific issues only.  It is not for one-off requests for services. For general requests, try missed bin collections, report a pothole, report a dog issue or general enquiries.

There are different ways to make a complaint, depending on what your complaint is about. 

Complaints about social services

Find out how to make a complaint about social services

Complaints about councillors

Find out how to make a complaint about councillors

Complaints about schools

Find out how to make a complaint about a school

Complaints about other services

Make a complaint about another service online 

  • Call us on 01824 706000 
  • Write to us at: Your Voice, PO Box 62, Ruthin, LL15 9AZ 
  • Tell a member of staff at a One Stop Shop

What happens next?

If you have made a complaint about another service, this is the procedure we will follow:  

Stage 1 Informal: If possible, it is best to deal with things straight away rather than try to sort them out later. If you have a concern, please tell the person you’re dealing with and they will try to resolve it with you there and then.

If you feel you need to complain to a different member of staff, or a more senior officer, there is less chance of the complaint being resolved immediately, as they will need time to investigate.

If you raise your complaint with a member of staff but it can’t be answered straight away or within a short period of time, it will be referred to a member of staff from the service who will investigate. You will be told if this is the case and what will happen next.

We will try to resolve your complaint within 10 working days. If we require additional time we will contact you to let you know why and when we plan to respond to you.


Stage 2 Formal: If you are unhappy with the stage 1 response you can escalate your complaint to stage 2. Please contact us within 28 days of receiving your stage 1 response. We will ask a different member of staff to investigate the issues.

This step of the process requires a more detailed investigation which can take up to 20 working days. If we require additional time we will contact you to let you know why and when we plan to respond to you.

When the investigation is completed we will contact you with our findings and let you know what actions we plan to take.

This is the final stage of our complaints process. If we are unable to resolve your complaint you may wish to contact the Public Service Ombudsman for Wales.

* Complaints of a complex or serious nature may be considered at stage 2 from the outset. 

If we don’t succeed in resolving your complaint, you can complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. The Ombudsman is independent of all government bodies, and can look into your complaint if you believe you have been treated unfairly. You can get details of how to contact the Ombudsman on their website.

Help making a complaint

If you would like some help to make your complaint, please let us know.  Our staff are fully trained to help you.  If you would prefer help from someone who doesn't work for the council, you can contact Complaints Wales for independent and impartial advice.

Website domains

Please contact us online for any website domain name related queries you may have.

If you wish to make a complaint regarding the use of website domain names, including instances of domain name abuse, please complete our online complaints form. You should expect to receive a response within 10 working days.

If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint in the first instance, you can ask for a senior officer to investigate, as part of our standard complaints process.